By Bobby Ross Jr. | GetReligion
That’s the only way to describe what happened in a Dallas courtroom Wednesday.
If you pay attention at all to the news, you know what I’m talking about, of course: the hug seen around the world.
The hug, as you know, followed an amazing gesture of forgiveness that nobody — absolutely nobody — saw coming.
Here’s how it played out on the front page of today’s Dallas Morning News, the local newspaper that has covered this story so well from start to finish:
Read the full column.
• • •
All of my GetReligion columns (October 2019):
• In Atlanta newspaper story on fired Catholic music minister, the villain and bad doctrine are clear. Published Oct. 1.
• Hug seen around the world: Botham Jean’s brother forgives ex-officer who killed his brother. Published Oct. 3.
• Friday Five: Forgiveness and justice, Scouting and faith, Tree of Life anniversary, Eric Metaxas. Published Oct. 4.
• Reporters delve into Dallas judge giving Amber Guyger a Bible and urging her to read John 3:16. Published Oct. 7.
• After a tragic shooting, a prayer at a Chick-fil-A in Nebraska draws a GetReligion reader’s interest. Published Oct. 9.
• For a former newspaper religion editor, a Catholic clergy sex abuse case hits close to home. Published Oct. 10.
• Friday Five: Dodger blues, religious freedom threat, Bathsheba raped?, judge’s faith, Chick-fil-A hero. Published Oct. 11.
• Try telling this NBA player’s story without mentioning his faith? Actually, The Ringer did. Published Oct. 14.
• Media ‘break out the pitchforks’ after Pompeo’s speech on ‘Being a Christian Leader.’ Published Oct. 16.
• Obituary of powerful Congressman Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland haunted by religion ghosts. Published Oct. 17.