By Bobby Ross Jr. | GetReligion
Los Angeles Times national correspondent David Montero’s front-page feature on the parents of an El Paso, Texas, shooting victim is not perfect.
But it’s pretty darn close.
It just might be — in terms of the mixture of storytelling prowess and attention to faith details — the best religion story you’ll read all year.
However, be sure to grab a tissue before clicking the link and becoming engrossed in the narrative. Trust me on that.
• • •
All of my GetReligion columns (August 2019):
• This is no joke: Religion News Service reports on feud between Babylon Bee and Snopes. Published Aug. 1.
• Friday Five: War in Babylon, Jews and abortion, Crystal Cathedral, slavery series, Fox News theft. Published Aug. 2.
• 400th anniversary special report: Don’t miss Adelle Banks’ must-read RNS series on slavery and religion. Published Aug. 5.
• Thoughts, prayers and Christian nationalists: News coverage after mass shootings in Texas and Ohio. Published Aug. 7.
• This El Paso report is emotional, heart-wrenching and maybe the best religion story you’ll read all year. Published Aug. 8.
• Friday Five: El Paso and Dayton, RNS on scene, Liberty’s J-school, whopper correction. Published Aug. 9.
• Potty-mouthed president, the sequel: Politico discovers that Trump likes to use dirty words. Published Aug. 12.
• This feature about fired ESPN staffer who became Catholic priest gets religion — half of it anyway. Published Aug. 13.
• Amid furor over Trump tweets, NPR visits two very different Friendship Baptist Churches in Virginia. Published Aug. 15.
• Friday Five: Racist Trump, Mayor Pete, clumsy Oregonian, sex and consent, Sarah’s new boss. Published Aug. 16.
• Josh Hamilton returns to Texas Rangers for induction into team’s Hall of Fame, and faith is key. Published Aug. 20.
• Bob the Journalist has the scoop: ‘VeggieTales’ is coming back (for those wondering, it did leave). Published Aug. 21.
• This Kentucky printer won’t make gay pride T-shirts. Is sexual discrimination or religious freedom key? Published Aug. 22.
• Friday Five: RNS staff hirings, LA Times death, Messiah Trump, Pete Buttigieg’s faith, Chick-fil-A. Published Aug. 23.
• Tourism to Israel is up, and it’s obviously because of President Trump, right? Well, let’s talk about that … Published Aug. 26.
• Is there a holy ghost in Andrew Luck’s shocking decision to retire? His comments made us wonder. Published Aug. 27.
• Bull Schuck to the rescue! Reader helps us analyze Texas newspaper story on alleged apparitions. Published Aug. 28.
• Friday Five: Alex Trebek, flipping churches, clumsy Oregonian, Babylon Bee, Twitter personalities. Published Aug. 29.