By Bobby Ross Jr. | GetReligion
Holly Meyer’s mama tried to raise her better.
Actually, I think her mother did just fine. That opening was my rather feeble attempt to set the scene (with thanks to Merle Haggard) for this post on “God and Country Music.”
Meyer, The Tennessean’s religion writer, had a big piece on Sunday’s front page about a religious revival in country music:
It turns out that the story idea came from, well, Meyer’s mother.
“And a good story idea is a good story idea, especially when it comes from your mom,” Meyer said.
Full disclosure: I love country music. In fact, I wrote a column several years ago exploring country songs as “modern-day parables.” So I was pretty certain I was going to appreciate Meyer’s piece. And I did.
Read the full column.
• • •
All of my GetReligion columns (June 2019):
• New release from Nashville: a timely, thought-provoking dive into ‘God and Country Music.’ Published June 3.
• Washington Post bias? Reader questions headline re: ‘good Christian’ prosecutor and same-sex violence. Published June 5.
• Bombshell Washington Post report details alleged lavish spending by former Catholic bishop of W.Va. Published June 6.
• Friday Five: Abortion, Catholic and Baptist scandals, Emanuel AME, disaster deacon, The Bachelorette. Published June 7.
• Ready, set, go! The much-anticipated Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting starts in 3, 2, 1 … Published June 10.
• ‘Why do you want Bishop Olson to be removed?’ Yes, Texas newspaper’s survey seems, um, one-sided. Published June 11.
• Those experts in Israel were on to something: Why secular-religious divide in Jewish state matters. Published June 13.
• Friday Five: SBC wrap-up, Catholic hotline, #ChurchToo, abuse lawsuits, cult ranch, VeggieTales. Published June 14.
• Friday Five: Neo-tabloid NYT, pro-life Dems, Matt Chandler’s ‘interview,’ Jimmy Carter’s pastor, gelatos. Published June 21.
• Bias? New York Times calls pro-choice source and quotes pro-life source via social media. Published June 24.
• ‘I’m not an overly religious person, but there’s something going on,’ major-league manager says. Published June 25.
• In Baptist circles, which is the more powerful position: SBC president or SBC seminary president? Published June 27.
• Friday Five: RNA finalists, church-state questions, ‘Sing Hallelujah,’ Sikh truck stops, ‘just’ praying. Published June 28.