By Bobby Ross Jr. | GetReligion
Nashville, Tenn. — one of the 25 largest cities in America — has lost its last remaining abortion provider. At least for now.
That seems like a pretty major story.
And indeed, The Tennessean has the basic details on today’s front page:
But the newspaper’s coverage of this stunning development seems overly low-key and matter-of-fact. Ho-hum, in other words.
Read the full column.
• • •
All of my GetReligion columns (December 2018):
• A don’t-miss-it deep dive: New York Times delivers a factual, balanced portrait of John Allen Chau. Published Dec. 3.
• What happens when Washington Post goes behind scenes of parish ensnared in sexual abuse scandal? Published Dec. 4.
• Unitarians in the desert: A few basic facts go a long way in explaining religious freedom lawsuit. Published Dec. 6.
• Friday Five: Godbeat news, Bush 41 funeral, pope on gay priests, megachurch biz, pastor hero. Published Dec. 7.
• A culture of abuse: Must-read investigation on sex crimes in independent fundamental Baptist churches. Published Dec. 10.
• About that ‘Christmas miracle’: What it means that Nashville has lost its only abortion provider. Published Dec. 11.
• Theology of Baptist seminary’s lament: Slavery is the headline, but a few media reports mention sin. Published Dec. 13.
• Friday Five: Baptist sex scandal, NYT paranoia, Brooklyn bridge, Julie Roys story, drive-thru priest. Published Dec. 14.
• A priest’s jarring homily after teen dies by suicide: The missing link in USA Today’s viral story. Published Dec. 17.
• Concerning that priest’s offensive funeral remarks on suicide, it’s true that what he actually said matters. Published Dec. 18.
• How to turn that puff piece on Muslims loving Jesus into actual helpful, worthwhile journalism. Published Dec. 20.
• Friday Five: New NYT religion writer, Illinois priest abusers, suicide homily, Godbeat on YouTube. Published Dec. 21.
• Call the police: Baby Jesus has been stolen — and The New York Times has a compelling story about it. Published Dec. 24.
• Friday Five: Baby Jesus thefts, ‘Charlie Brown Christmas,’ Jews help refugees, RNS wins ‘Jeopardy.’ Published Dec. 28.
• A GetReligionista looks back on some of his — and his colleagues’ — most-clicked posts of 2018. Published Dec. 29.