By Bobby Ross Jr. | GetReligion
Unless you live in a cave with no television, social media feeds or electricity, you know about Oprah Winfrey’s “stirring, spiritual call to arms” at the Golden Globes.
Winfrey’s speech — tied to the #MeToo movement — “has fans dreaming” of a presidential run by the talk-show icon and Democrats from Hollywood to Iowa “captivated” by the possibility.
Here at GetReligion, editor Terry Mattingly suggested months ago: “Yes, the religious left exists: Can you think of a logical person (Oprah) to serve as its leader?”
But speaking of religion, have the breathless news reports since Sunday night acknowledged — or mostly ignored — Oprah’s Gospel-meets-New Age religious maven role?
Take a wild guess.
However, a leading Godbeat pro has an extremely insightful story on the surprising theology shared by Oprah and, believe it or not, her potential 2020 adversary, President Donald Trump:
• • •
All of my GetReligion columns (January 2018):
• What makes a GetReligion post go viral? Wish I knew, but these were my Top 10 posts of 2017. Published Jan. 2.
• Duck, duck, goose: Three different approaches to covering Mormon church president’s death. Published Jan. 4.
• Friday Five: American-style Islam, Christmas in Bethlehem, $29.95 ordination, Hooters and more. Published Jan. 5.
• Mormons vs. evangelicals: It’s more complicated than ‘political allies, but theological rivals.’ Published Jan. 8.
• The theology behind Oprah’s ‘stirring, spiritual call to arms’ at Golden Globes? Time magazine nails it. Published Jan. 9.
• Tax-free housing for ministers unconstitutional? Chicago Tribune has the newsy scoop. Published Jan. 11. Published Jan. 11.
• Friday Five: Minister tax break, Mormon death, The Crown’s religion, Trump’s dirty words and more. Published Jan. 12.
• ‘Southern Baptist’ voucher-hating pastor touted on Dallas front page – but is he still Southern Baptist? Published Jan. 15.
• Powerful piece on Emanuel AME jury foreman brings tears, and a lingering question. Published Jan. 16.
• Washington Post reports on pastor ‘lighting into’ Trump with Pence on front row, but basic question unanswered. Published Jan. 18.
• Friday Five: Livin’ On A Prayer, Emanuel AME juror, deranged parents, Arkansas shooting and more. Published Jan. 19.
• Oops! Politico confused on ‘politically prominent evangelicals’ in Trump’s health department. Published Jan. 22.
• Do Christians, Muslims, Jews all worship the same God? Is it a public school’s role to say? Published Jan. 23.
• Wow! In infuriating case of sex abuser Larry Nassar, a victim touts a message of grace and forgiveness. Published Jan. 25.
• Friday Five: Nassar victim forgives, nuclear Mass, #WeRemember, KFC halal and more. Published Jan. 26.
• Long on generalizations, short on concrete sources: CNN tackles a school prayer dispute in Louisiana. Published Jan. 29.
• What!? About that Washington Post religion story on clergy gathering to bless late-term abortion clinic. Published Jan. 30.