By Bobby Ross Jr. | GetReligion
ABC News is under fire for a story in which it characterizes the Alliance Defending Freedom as “an alleged hate group.”
In some ways, it’s the same ole, same ole.
Click the above links, and you can read my GetReligion colleague Mark Kellner’s excellent recent commentary on the Southern Poverty Law Center labeling certain conservative organizations as “hate groups.”
Kellner rightly asked: “Here’s a proactive journalistic question: Does expressing one’s faith and beliefs always and without exception equal hate?”
Apparently, ABC didn’t get the memo.
So we end up with this headline today:
Jeff Sessions addresses ‘anti-LGBT hate group,’ but DOJ won’t release his remarks
• • •
All of my GetReligion columns (July 2017):
• This is why half of U.S. rolled its eyes over that ‘Mike Pence won’t eat alone with a woman’ controversy. Published July 3.
• This is what happens when a small-town church embraces an immigrant facing deportation. Published July 5.
• Were artifacts forfeited by Hobby Lobby headed to Museum of the Bible? It’s complicated (maybe). Published July 7.
• Why folks are freaking out over article on Marco Rubio tweeting ‘Most Republican Part of the Bible.’ Published July 10.
• This is why some Catholics are questioning media reporting on gluten-free communion. Published July 11.
• Can we guess why ‘God as we understand Him’ is missing from story on opioid addiction recovery? Published July 12.
• Hate group or hateful reporting? This is why alleged ‘news organization’ ABC News is under fire. Published July 13.
• The second storytelling rule: Get the name of the church (click the link to learn the first). Published July 17.
• No God, no worries: This is why a group with no belief in supernatural deities gathers on Sunday. Published July 18.
• Race and Southern Baptists: This is why it’s so hard to tell difference between opinion, news these days. Published July 19.
• This front-page story will make you wonder if the newspaper knows what happens during an abortion. Published July 21.
• Faith on both sides of abortion? Yes, according to AP — but this is why debate falls short. Published July 24.
• Mark of the Beast: 666 reasons to look for religion angle in microchips installed in employees’ hands. Published July 25.
• Sin and scandal at Ole Miss: This is what happens when outspoken Christian coach calls escort service. Published July 26.
• Sacred rite takes secular turn: This is why church weddings aren’t as popular as they used to be. Published July 27.
• Donald Trump promised to work to free Americans held captive abroad. Here’s what happened next. Published July 28.
• Sin and scandal at Ole Miss, the sequel: USA Today digs into the faith and character of Hugh Freeze. Published July 31.